Wednesday, July 9, 2014

My name is Amy Deschaine.


I am a self taught photographer who loves to be behind the camera capturing wonderful memories for my clients. The main part of my business is photographing young children and newborns, as well as weddings. I occasionally do use studio lighting, however I consider myself a natural light photographer. This means that the photos I take utilize and enhance natural sunlight both indoors and outdoors.


 I have been taking photos professionally for about 5 years now. My interest in photography was sparked when my father-in-law gave me his Canon 50D (semi-pro camera) and I began "tinkering" with it. I literally stumbled into something that I was very passionate about. After setting up my first-ever photo session (with my toddler son) and receiving many compliments on Facebook, I decided that this could be a possible business venture.


 I was in my first semester in college, but in my spare time absorbed every bit of information about camera utilization and photography techniques. I began to realize that the more photos I took the sharper my skills became. Only utilizing Facebook as my first real "website" and only marketing platform, people began to contact me to ask for prices.


 Prices? I had not actually decided what to charge people yet! So, a few solid days of figuring, crunching numbers, and asking friends and family for advice on what they would and would not pay, I emerged with version one of my very first price list. Word of mouth began to work in my favor, and every time I did a session for someone new, I would post it to Facebook.


I have since received many personal referrals from happy clients, refined my pricing structure, and even set up a professional website which allows clients to have their own gallery and option to order straight from the website. I have even done work for other well-known photographers in this area, as well as paid a few freelancers as assistants myself. I am even beginning to create a client-base in New Jersey and Virginia!


My success in the photography industry still shocks me when I reflect on it. It was never meant to be a long-term plan. Photography was going to be "what I was doing" to help pay my way through college.  It was just sheer luck that I enjoyed it and wish to continue on with it.


Prior to photography, I always had two loves: History, and Indigenous tribes. To this day, I love learning about both. I actually suggested to my husband that I would love to one day get the chance to travel the world and photograph many tribal peoples in their daily lives. That is when my anthropological research turned me to Visual Anthropology!


I was so excited to hear that there was actually a career that encompassed my photography skills, and my love for the study of tribes. Since studying tribal life is actually like a modern day look into the past - I could not be happier.


My plan is to attend a graduate program for Visual Anthropology, ultimately attaining a PhD. During that time I wish to apply as a photographer with National Geographic in their explorer program.

No comments:

Post a Comment